Here at Active Outcomes, we focus on helping others achieve the maximum possible impact in all the work they are already doing. For us, that means all writing needs to be high impact, well-targeted and easily understood so that it achieves exactly the result your organisation needs. Here is our advice to help you write it right!
Who will be reading it?
First things first, consider your audience carefully – ask yourself:
- How technical should I be?
- Will they understand jargon?
- Will they be interested in what I am saying?
- What is their point of view likely to be?
Personalise your writing, tell people exactly how you will help them. Tell them what you have achieved before. If you can tell it as a story – do it – people have been trained since childhood to love to read a good story.
What am I trying to say?
You can’t take back a first impression. So plan carefully what you want to say.
- Have a main message in mind and stick to it throughout.
- Try and structure what you write: introduce your topic (consider listing the points you will raise), elaborate upon the main points and then summarise for the reader.
- Write a list of keywords and be sure to include them.
Remember the Four C’s
An easy way to remember what you should be including (and leaving out) as part of your writing is the Four C’s, explained below.
- Clear: Use plain English, avoid jargon, stick to your structure.
- Concise: Less is more – people are busy so get to the point!
- Considerate: Explain anything your reader may not immediately understand, direct them to additional content.
- Correct: Proofread! Pprooofraed! Proofread!
Our Top Five Tips and Tricks
1.Grab attention: open with a memorable phrase.
2.Lists: Everyone loves a list, e.g. these are my top five tips…
3.Write to express not to impress!
4.A picture speaks a thousand words: add interest with images.
5.Consistency: use the same formatting i.e. font, size, colour. Don’t switch from first to third person, maintain the same tone throughout (i.e. friendly, academic and so on…)
We focus on people. We listen actively and create copy that works for you and your organisation. We tell stories that engage the reader.
Above all, we talk to people to discover genuine experiences that can be shared and will tell the world about your values and achievements. We use these conversations to create authentic content that really hits home with your target audience.
Words are powerful things. Your customers need to read about your products. Your staff need to understand your policies. You need to communicate your success. We work with you to make sure your documents are working as hard as you are. For more information about our policy writing or copywriting, editing and proofreading services click on the links or visit our website http://www.activeoutcomes.co.uk.